“…you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew.” — Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
And so it ended once again.
For the past few months, I’ve been re-reading the Harry Potter series.
I’ve been a Harry Potter fan since the first book came out. Every year after that, I received the next book from my grandma for my birthday (Harry Potter and I share a birth month). And for a few weeks after, I was engrossed in a fantastical world that I so badly wanted to exist. (I waited for an owl to deliver my Hogwarts letter for quite some time after I read the first book.)
I feel like I grew up with Harry Potter. With each book, we were both a little bit older and a little bit wiser. We had fights with our best friends and hated doing homework. But to be fair, I never had to fight a basilisk, survive an encounter with a dragon, learn to ride a broomstick, watch people die for me, or fight You-Know-Who.
Over the years, Harry Potter has taught me a few lessons.
- Don’t blow up your aunt. Your family will get angry and someone will have to come out and deflate her.
- Make sure you have that package from an unknown sender thoroughly inspected before you open it. It might be dangerous.
- Love is the greatest weapon of them all.
- Don’t piss off a werewolf. They will try to eat you.
- Your best friends will always be there when you need them, and when you don’t.
- Don’t be so quick to judge. The person you hate the most in the world might end up being someone you admire.
- Don’t lose the things you need to defeat the Dark Lord.
- Don’t trust goblins. They’ll double-cross you to get the treasure.
- You can’t bring someone back from the dead (even in the wizarding world).
- Sometimes you don’t have to know the whole story in order to complete the job.
- Broken wands aren’t reparable. Unless you have the Elder Wand, that is.
- Dumbledore is always right. Always.
- Even though it seems impossible, you’ll triumph in the end.
And now for my favorite Harry Potter Puppet Pals video.