The Olympics brings the whole world together to cheer on the best athletes on the planet.
As of today, the world has watched as 54 world and Olympic records were shattered, including:
- Michael Phelps’ won his 22nd Olympic medal, the most of any athlete. Ever.
- The U.S. women’s 4×100 relay shattered the world record. It now stands at 40.82.
- Jamaica’s Usain Bolt really is the fastest human, setting an Olympic record in the 100 meter dash.
- American Gabby Douglas winning gold in the women’s all-around gymnastics competition, becoming the first African-American to do so.
- Americans Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings won gold in beach volleyball for the third time in a row, retiring on a high note.
And, if you’re interested, @USOlympic has all of the highlights from London on Twitter.
But of course, the Olympics has also produced some lovely gaffs. Can anyone say major wedgies during water polo, or too much skin in men’s diving?